These are some examples of some of our proudest contributions to regional, rural and remote community led development, so far…
litigation, appeals, and review applications | Indigenous land management
Whilst working with a remote Indigenous Council, Chris successfully developed and launched on the Council's behalf, two test cases against the State Government in Queensland seeking grant of perpetual leases to local Torres Strait Islanders which had remained pending since the 1980's. The two test case applicants were both successful in the Land Court of Queensland, and on appeal by the State Government in the Supreme Court of Queensland. The test cases set a precedent for grant of over 200+ pending perpetual leasehold interests in the Torres Strait.
Feel free to read the judgements at:
litigation, appeals, and review applications
Whilst working with a community service provider, Chris assisted them to successfully appeal an Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) determination to deregister a regional and remote Registered Training Organisation (RTO) - unconditional registration was achieved allowing the RTO to continue trading unrestricted.
negotiations | contracts | Indigenous land management
Government lobbying, advocacy and deputations | program development, delivery and review
- State funding for a pilot Boundary Mapping Program to map all Traditional Owner-lands for awareness in future Indigenous land management planning;
- State Government Financial Aid to Local Government indexed;
- Federal Financial Assistance Grant to Local Government indexed;
- State Government locals flight subsidy (Local Fare Scheme) extended for 2 years;
- Transport Infrastructure Development Scheme (TIDS) funding expanded by $30M;
- $51M allocated to the local Council under a new Indigenous Council’s Critical Infrastructure Program to improve water, wastewater and solid waste infrastructure.
- State Government Works for Queensland Program extended for further 2 years at a benefit of $2.73M to the local Council;
- Federal Government contribution of $515,000 for a Helicopter Subsidy Program for Ugar Island in our electorate;
- New Primary Health Care Centre announced for Mer Island in our electorate; and
- Local Government Building Services Unit being named preferred supplier for all Government housing.
legal research and analysis
Over a period of 4 years, with the endorsement of the local Council, Chris interviewed many local Torres Strait Islanders and conducted intensive legal doctrinal research, to develop a PhD thesis proposing legal and institutional mechanisms to better support Torres Strait Islander people to maintain their cultural secrets - a free copy is available:
community partnerships, engagement and consultation | change management
Working with a remote Indigenous Council, Chris successfully designed a communications strategy and negotiated a successful Enterprise Bargaining Agreement/ Certified Agreement with over 300 remote staff with a 97.4% 'YES' vote, with a historic 80% of remote staff voting, over a period of less than 3 months, start to finish. Unions were engaged and consulted as part of this process.
community partnerships, engagement and consultation | tenders and grant-writing
Working with a community service provider in the employment services industry across Queensland and the Northern Territory, Chris assisted them to successfully negotiate community partnerships with Indigenous-owned organisations, with the partnerships successfully jointly tendering for major government contracts.
community partnerships, engagement and consultation | facilitation
Independent facilitation and legal advice provided to the Eastern Kuku Yalanji People traditional owner negotiating committee (TONC) to enable the transfer of over 144,000 hectares of Aboriginal land (much of which is national park) in Far North Queensland, back to traditional owner management in conjunction with the Queensland Government.
Special thanks to these people who have kindly agreed to provide testimonial: